Discover the RESP Grants you may be eligible to receive

Canada Learning Bond (CLB)*

If your child is eligible for the Canada Learning Bond (CLB), you will receive a one-time initial contribution of $500 to your child's RESP with an additional $100 for each year of eligibility until age 15.

With CLB you

may qualify for up

to an additional $2,000

FAQ’s on CLB


What is the Canada Learning Bond (CLB)?

Families with children born in 2004 or later whose parent or guardian receives the National Child Benefit (NCB) Supplement qualify for the CLB. To receive NCB Supplement the family must have less than $43,953* net annual income.

The Canada Learning Bond provides a one-time initial grant payment of $500 to an eligible beneficiary's Registered Education Savings Plan. If the parents or guardians continue to qualify and receive the NCB Supplement, the government will also provide an additional $100 for each year of eligibility until age 15. Over time, that could add up to as much as $2,000 in grant payments, plus interest.

*This amount is indexed each year based on the rate of inflation.


How do I apply for the Canada Learning Bond (CLB)?

To apply for a CESG follow these simple steps:

  1. Register the birth or adoption of the child.

  2. Apply for a birth certificate for the child.

  3. Apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN) for the child. Please visit for more information on the SIN application process.

  4. Open a Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP). Contributions are not required to apply for the CLB

  5. Download the appropriate form for your CLB application:


  • If you are a parent and/or legal guardian and are contributing to your child's RESP, download form HRSDE 0093 E (The original form must be forwarded to the RESP promoter).

  • If you are a grandparent, aunt, uncle or non-relative and are contributing to a child's RESP, download form SDE 0093 E – Annex B (The original form must be forwarded to the RESP promoter).

  • Please note that this form must accompany the main form SDE 0093 E.


I did not apply for the Canada Learning Bond right away when I first opened my RESP. Am I too late?

Not at all. Your beneficiary is eligible for the CLB commencing with the year of birth or the year your beneficiary became a Canadian resident. If you have not applied for the CLB right away, the Federal Government will still make payments for the previous years. All you need to do is to apply for the CLB.


How long do I have to apply for the Canada Learning Bond?

You have up until your beneficiary turns 18 to apply for the Canada Learning Bond, but the earlier you apply, the sooner the grant money will start to grow in an RESP.

Understanding the terms


"CLB" means the Canada Learning Bond which is the grant from the Government of Canada with the cumulative lifetime maximum of $2,000 per eligible Beneficiary.

For more terms visit our glossary:


* Certain conditions apply, please see Prospectus for full details.